Thursday, January 29, 2009

People are watching

Living in a fishbowl.  That is PC term used for 'people all up in your business'.  Welcome to Tonga, please check your privacy to the left.

I guess it really is not that bad, but I still wish I could ride my bike around without random people yelling my name.  I kind of have this habit of turning to people when they call my name.  This does not work out so well with the whole bike/pothole thing.

So in honor of my new blog (please read the last post to figure out where to get old posts) I will try to post a cultural difference between Tonga and the US everyday for a week.  Even if I get lazy I will change the timestamps anyway, so hah :D.

For today we will discuss the Ta'ovala.  Well let me show you a picture of one first

 
The ta'ovala would be that yellow mat around my waist.  The Ta'ovala is used for all formal occasions (including work) and is probably most closely associated with a tie in US/European culture.  The one you see there is a little more formal and is being used for church.  The ta'ovala itself does not need to be plain.  I have worn some with feathers and varioius other colors.
There are special ta'ovala's for funerals, weddings, and even a different (although not special) kind used for day to day use (more comfortable and crochetd instead of weaved).
On a more personal note, these things can be really uncomfortable.  The one you see me wearing there cuts off any air into the lower area of the body, and it turns out to be hot in the South Pacific.  There is also the kafa which is used to tie it.  Most are made of woven coconut husk, but some are made of human hair (those really itch!).
Well hope this has been informative :D.

No comments: